AVP Finance Job at Sovereign Insurance – in Toronto, ON
This role operates in English.
Work Model: Remote-based.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cooperators General Insurance company, Sovereign Insurance believes your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our senior leadership team in the role of Associate Vice President-Finance. The successful candidate will develop and lead a high-performance team responsible for Finance Decision Support and have a strong understanding of the intricate relationships between business strategies, tactics, budgets, and deliverables to recommend changes, enabling the organization to meet the financial objectives. Having an acute perception of the dimensions of business matters and the ability to make sense out of complexity, you think strategically and take appropriate action. With thoughtful analysis, clear logic and a close attention to detail you, are cognizant of the challenges to secure the company with a competitive position in the market.
What you’re responsible for:
- Providing leadership for the Finance Decision Support function including interpreting, applying and leveraging group guidelines and common processes related to finance, reporting, analytics, compliance and business continuity where appropriate to maximize synergistic relationships.
- Developing and applying sophisticated accounting and data modeling techniques to produce reasoned and supportable conclusions to Pro-forma financial statement production, Reinsurance modeling, and Actuarial modeling.
- Oversee the delivery of all aspects of financial reporting, financial analytics and planning including Quarterly Business Reports, Audit Committee Reports, Expense Reports, Annual Planbook, 4 Year Strategic Plan to Company Management, Group Management, Board and Committees.
- Supporting business teams on assessing viability of new business opportunities, including development of models to project long term profitability and scenarios, Cat Reinsurance Costs, contingent commission, expense utilization amongst others.
- Leading and engaging your team to deliver strategic objectives through effective coaching and mentoring, identifying and developing emerging talent, and fostering an innovative, collaborative, and agile culture.
What to expect:
- Detail oriented work that requires a high degree of mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- As a leader, strict confidentiality is required with respect to sensitive matters and employees’ personal information.
- You will be subject to a Criminal Record and Consumer History background check as a condition of employment, in the event you are the successful candidate.
To be successful:
- You thrive on leading initiatives to support the delivery of our exceptional client experience; and motivate others to embrace accountability to achieve results.
- You ensure you and your team’s day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You will lead implementation of large or routine change initiatives and actively promote a culture that encourages the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value and encourage others to have cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- University Degree required, Bachelor of Commerce is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years directly related experience.
- Accounting Designation (CPA-CA, CPA-CGA, or CPA-CMA).
- CIP designation preferred.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to explore and achieve what’s possible.
- An organizational commitment to sustainability and charitable giving; positively impacting the social, environmental and economic well-being of Canadian businesses, families and communities.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
About the Company
Company: Sovereign Insurance –
Company Location: Toronto, ON