Children’s Services Administrator Job at County of Blair in Altoona, PA
Reporting to a liaison county commissioner, the administrator of Blair County Children, Youth, and Families (CYF) develops, sustains, and directs the Agency’s strategic vision and ensures that all individuals remain committee to protecting children, consistent with the Agency’s values. Internally, the administrator oversees the Agency’s operations and program, monitors statutory and regulatory compliance, and both leads and personally undertakes CYF budgetary and strategic financial planning activities. Externally, the administrator serves as the chief point of contact for other county agencies, departments, and courts, as well as local and state human services organizations and community partnerships. The administrator works to promote a culture of excellence and continuous improvement among department staff, and is tasked with anticipating complex and difficult problems before they arise and addressing existing vulnerabilities at the earliest manifestation.
- Serves as senior-most resource and authority for issues involving internal processes; implements and interprets policies; oversees statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Leads and manages administrative team to ensure all units within CYF carry out the mission, values, and strategic goals.
- Leads, coaches, develops, and retains employees. Manages performance and discipline of direct reports.
- Partners closely with local human services agencies and state regulatory bodies to establish a strategic response to organizational and sector challenges.
- Negotiates service contracts; monitors purchase-of-service agreements with all providers; meets with main providers prior to budget implementation to discuss service needs; monitors use of service hours by approving all service authorizations.
- Shapes and implements Agency strategy, including oversight of programs, operations, and financial management; assesses organizational effectiveness and formulates strategies to address areas of perceived weakness.
- Leads the annual planning and budget processes, and undertakes strategic initiatives and special projects each year.
- Represents County of Blair and CYF on local, regional, and statewide boards, committees. Serves as liaison to external stakeholders and organizations.
- Assists with community and family concerns, complaints, investigations, case queries, CYF procedures, first-responder protocols, and Child Protective Service Law (CPSL) compliance.
- Directs, supervises, and evaluates delivery of services and training needs to CYF staff as required by all legislative mandates, Public Welfare Code, Juvenile Act, Department of Public Welfare regulations, court directives, and any other federal and state statutes and regulations.
- Works with delinquency and dependency court entities to ensure oversight.
- Works closely with courts to develop policies, programs, services consistent with philosophy of the courts. Works closely with relevant internal County offices.
- Conducts monthly staff meetings, and other periodic meetings.
- Provides supervisory office coverage if needed.
- Remains on call for any major catastrophes, reports of a near-fatality or fatality of a child, emergency approvals, and need for continuity of government.
- Pursues professional development annually. Maintains 20 hours of training yearly to maintain certification as a direct service worker and supervisor.
Successful candidates’ education will be from a bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration or public administration, with emphasis in accounting or finance, and a master’s degree in business administration or public administration is preferred. Applicants’ work experience will consist of five years of progressively responsible management and leadership experience in private sector or public sector. Experience in strategic planning, project management, financial management, staff supervision and development, and leading key internal strategic initiatives. Strong record of leading key organizational functions and teams with a targeted focus on continuing improvement. Demonstrated ability to be an analytic and decisive “completer-finisher” with an action orientation and the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
If hire is without previous completion of two training programs required of caseworkers and casework supervisors upon joining CYF, hire will successfully fulfill obligations for both “Foundations” and “Supervisory Training Series” through the Child Welfare Resource Center within established time frames.
- Self-motivated, results driven, detail oriented, and adaptable
- Comfort and experience with public speaking
- Exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal communication (written and verbal)
- Excellent judgment and problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow projects through to completion; accountability
- Empathy and sympathy with the values and ambitions of clients served by CYF; shows heart for child welfare field.
- Remains informed of best practices regarding business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and leadership techniques.
- Navigates Internet, databases, and Microsoft Office Suite with proficiency.
Competitive benefits package starts immediately and includes 90% employer-paid PPO healthcare with three-tier pharmacy formulary and vision components, or direct-care clinic healthcare product; defined benefit pension plan; defined contribution plan; group term life insurance; short-term disability; and time-off provisions that include 14 annual paid holidays. Starting salary range is $63,800 to $69,400. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
About the Company
Company: County of Blair
Company Location: Altoona, PA