Cost Controller Job at Submarine Delivery Agency – in Barrow-In-Furness
Job description for SDA Cost Controller
Do you work within Cost Control Finance? Are you looking for an exciting new opportunity working on once-in-a-lifetime projects with ample opportunity for career progression? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) are currently recruiting for a Cost Controller (Finance) based out of BAE Barrow-In-Furness. Working as part of a team of three Cost Controllers you will provide support to the Submarine Build Capability Contract (SBCC). The SBCC provides the mechanism through which the efficient management of infrastructure facilities and associate resources at Barrow are provisioned to meet the build demands of multiple boat programmes on site.
As a Cost Controller within the SBCC Team, your role will involve the provision of in year financial management and input to the Annual Budget Cycle for a range of projects and provide support in the management and governance of the BAE Systems Overhead to allow the SDA to manage effectively resources and infrastructure capability.
This could be the ideal career for you, providing a rare opportunity to develop your skills and experience of leadership and delivering successful outcomes in a varied environment working on one-of-a-kind projects critical to UK Defence.
Due to Security requirements, this post will be Reserved for UK Nationals.
This role offers successful applicants the following:
External Applicants: First Appointment Expenses up to a limit of £8,000
Internal Applicants: Internal Applicants will be eligible for full relocation expenses
Responsibilities for SDA Cost Controller
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to –
- Produce accurate and timely forecasts ensuring any variance and financial risk commentary is accurate and insightful.
- Provide Financial input, challenge, and information at the Project Manager/Control Account Manager monthly forecast reviews to empower stakeholder decision making.
- Enter and reconcile cost information into various project financial systems from business case approvals, options, and change requests, ensuring a clear audit trail. Consistently monitor project cost spend against these approvals.
- To challenge and interpretate supply chains cost data to support accruals and project forecasting. Produce accurate supporting data and inputs for the Annual Budget Cycle process in conjunction with PM/PCM, consolidating project data to produce the Programme Cost Review forecast for the benefit of the whole delivery team. Oversee the collation of the 1* Screening Packs.
- Produce accrual and general journals and option proposals to ensure robust supporting evidence is included. Actively support the Cost Control Finance lead with any audit and compliance requests.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Typically demonstrate previous cost/financial experience and an understanding of budgeting and forecasting, variance analysis and capturing project costs.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Excel include Vlook ups and pivot tables.
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
- To hold or be working towards a suitable technical/professional qualification such as AAT, CIMA or similar.
- Working experience of various financial systems and reconciling between them.
- Awareness of wider Project Controls principles and activities including Earned Value Management (EVM).
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Controlling a Project (PC) – Supervised Practitioner
- Financial Planning, Reporting and Resource Allocation – Supervised Practitioner
- Working together
- Delivering at pace
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, SDA promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
Closing Date – 24th October 2021
Reference ID: 1620
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £28,900.00-£34,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- Store discounts
- Work from home
About the Company
Company: Submarine Delivery Agency –
Company Location: Barrow-In-Furness