Director of Finance – The Simple Folk Job at The Simple Folk – in Director of Finance – The Simple Folk
FLSA Status: Full-Time Contract Consultant
Reports To: Managing Director
Positions Supervised: Finance team
About The Simple Folk
The Simple Folk is a sustainable children’s clothing line created to inspire and support adventure and play in our little ones. We are devoted to mindfully creating heirloom quality pieces that are kind to the earth, the people making them, and those who wear and enjoy them. We’re a fully-remote, dispersed team scattered across the globe.
The mission for this role is to oversee and hands-on run our finance department, being fully involved day to day and driving the company’s financial planning and strategy forward. You’ll work closely with the leadership team on budgeting, forecasting, analysis and implementing processes. We move fast around here and it’s imperative that you’re both able to keep up and to set the pace for this area of the business, being fully responsive in all that you do.
- Manage company cash flow and ensure this is kept up to date
- Produce monthly and quarterly accounts on time
- Generate reports and analysis highlighting the financial implications of business decisions to support decision making and forecasting
- Oversee the preparation of the company quarterly and annual financial reports, to ensure that these are presented accurately and on time
- Ensure compliance with financial processes, systems and policies including all D2C & B2B VAT compliance and filing
- Ensure we are set up correctly for multiple revenue streams, including digital, for our newly set up subscription service.
- Set up, integrate and use our ERP system (Apparel Magic) to improve accounting processes across the board
- Support the Prod Dev team with suppliers to manage and negotiate contracts and payment terms, utilising credit where possible. Ensure suppliers are operating effectively and provide the best value to the company
- Forecasting exchange rates and securing best rates with suppliers.
- Work closely with the team to connect sales, inventory, and operations planning using Apparel Magic software. Analyse inventory, product fulfillment and replenishment, SKU profitability and other financial aspects of the sales and production processes
- Support the Wholesale team with collecting and tracking payments for orders.
- Communicate with the Customer Service team on payment errors, fraud and other issues
- Identify key drivers of financial performance and communicate them to the leadership team. Measure and optimise the ROI on strategic initiatives
- Continually look for ways to improve the effectiveness of forecasting activities and streamline processes
- Organise and develop a high-performing team
- Implement financial infrastructure and processes needed to scale the business
- Work closely with the leadership team to ensure we are moving towards the same goals
You’re good at:
- Managing and working within a team remotely
- Juggling many balls at the same time without dropping a single one
- Being a responsive, detail-oriented and clear communicator
- Getting stuck in, you’re not afraid to get your hands dirty and help out where needed
- Motivating and supporting team members
- You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You’re going to take ownership of your time and workflow and truly make a difference
- You have a solid understanding of Remote/distance/cross-border selling, D2C, B2B and digital goods VAT compliance
- You love slow fashion and living a sustainable lifestyle
- You have experience working within Google Workspace and Xero
- You have 3+ years experience in a similar role
- Making coffee at your home office—this position works remotely
This is a full-time, remote, freelance position.
Interested in this position? Please include your resume, salary requirements, and cover letter in PDF format.
In your cover letter, please share the following information:
Why are you interested in this role?
What makes you the most qualified?
What areas energize you versus drain you?
How can we be confident that you will excel in a remote, self-managed role?
Tell me about your goals (long and short-term), ideal hours, and monthly rate.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £55,000.00-£72,000.00 per year
About the Company
Company: The Simple Folk –
Company Location: Director of Finance – The Simple Folk