Finance- Accountant Job at City of McAllen – 4.0 in McAllen, TX
Under general direction, is responsible for performing complex accounting and analytical financial management work requiring professional knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of accounting. The Accountant will assist with accounting, auditing and financial reporting to include the following functions: Cash Receipts, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Cash Disbursements, Grants and Capital Assets. May exercise functional or technical supervision over assigned staff. Job Responsibilities
1. Monitors, evaluates, records, classifies, and summarizes financial transactions.
2. Drafts complex accounting journal entries and reviews completed entries.
3. Analyzes and researches accounting problems and recommends solutions.
4. Reviews and analyzes general ledger account balance and makes recommendations for corrections.
5. Reviews and interprets financial records.
6. Assists in the review and prepares financial statements.
7. Compiles information and prepares reports for submission to organizations and agencies, as required.
8. Maintains financial aspect of grants, grant applications, communication of processes, tracking and reporting grant activity and providing support to departments in meeting grant related needs.
9. Compiles statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports for management.
10. Traces and reconciles records of financial transactions including the general ledger, subsidiary accounts, and bank statements.
11. Creates and updates policies and procedures as needed.
12. Participates in external and internal audits, including preparing audit schedules, financial statements, updates the notes to the financial statements, and facilitates audit requests.
13. Coordinates special projects and assignments.
14. Participates in design and modification of information systems.
15. Performs other related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
16. Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and works cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Requirements – 1. A Bachelor”s degree in Accounting from an accredited College or University is required.
2. Two (2) years of accounting experience required, preferably in local government.
3. Knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices.
4. Knowledge of theories, principles, and practices of accounting including GAAP guidelines and GASB pronouncements.
5. Knowledge of principles and practices of financial record keeping.
6. Knowledge of principles, practices and methods used in the development of financial reports.
7. Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws, ordinances, policies and regulations relating to the assigned area of responsibility.
8. Knowledge on performance of variance analysis.
9. Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
10. Skill in operating a calculator or ten key adding machine.
11. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and other basic office equipment.
12. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, employees, management, and the general public.
13. Ability to develop clear, concise, and detailed reports and financial statements.
14. Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively.
15. Ability to develop charts, graphs, and spreadsheets utilizing personal computer programs.
16. Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.
17. Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and prepare complex financial and accounting documents, reports, and presentations.
18. Ability to schedule and coordinate projects, set priorities, and adapt to changing priorities.
19. Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision. Additional Information
1. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
2. This position is a Safety Sensitive Position (SSP) subject to drug testing.
3. Employee assists as needed which includes working irregular hours, night, weekend and/or holidays. Disclaimer
This job description summarizes essential job functions and minimum job requirements for entry level work and typical duties illustrative of the type of work customarily assigned and performed in this position. However, this job description does not represent every aspect of the job nor does it guarantee permanent employment, as all positions with the City of McAllen are employment at will positions. Job descriptions are subject to periodic updates and modifications. The City reserves the right to change work assignments and other aspects of a job. The City of McAllen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
About the Company
Company: City of McAllen – 4.0
Company Location: McAllen, TX