Finance Assistant Manager Job at UK Government – Ministry of Defence in Corsham
You will be responsible for providing corporate finance services including planning, in-year management, project accounting and governance, investment appraisal and financial reporting supporting delivery. You will also be responsible for supporting the development and reconciliation of transformation enabled financial benefits.
This is a busy role in a fast moving and continually changing business environment. You will need to be proactive in building upon the financial reporting that has already been developed and working at times on your own to provide advice and support to the transformation workstream leads and developing the financial position. You will be required to be able to think and operate on your feet in a proactive manner.
Your responsibilities will include
1. Delivery of In-year Budget and Forecast, coordinating monthly submissions and associated Management Information in line with the consolidated departmental timetable and for review at Assistant Head level. This includes collaborating with colleagues within the transformation team and providing accurate financial information to workstream leads.
2. Support the production of long-term financial planning submissions including financial benefits for review at Assistant Head level taking account of key elements including, but not limited to: Assumptions, Risk and Options.
3. Ensure accounts are robust ensure appropriate governance and control is undertaken in accordance with MOD accounting policy and National Audit Office requirements.
4. Undertake financial accounting returns and contribute to continuous improvement initiatives including review of Financial Statements and the production of an Audit File for review.
5. Support the scrutiny of Business Cases including a Value for Money (VFM) assessment, affordability scrutiny and provide financial concurrence within delegated authority.
6. Contribute to the complication or scrutiny of Cost Models to support investment decisions and long-term planning ensuring the model is of sufficient quality and is subjected to the appropriate external scrutiny.
Defence Digital operates an organisation model in which every individual belongs to a function. The successful applicant will be posted into one of the defined Professional Functions on Standard Terms of Reference for the grade.
The Head of Function for each Professional Group determines the Continuous Professional Development path for their function as well as approving opportunities across Defence Digital for agile resourcing.
Additional Pay Allowance:
In line with the MOD pay allowances table those staff at Band C who are CCAB qualified accountants (or equivalent) will receive an accountancy recruitment & retention allowance of £3,000 p.a. Those CCAB qualified accountants (or equivalent) at Band C level and below will also receive a functional retention allowance of between 13 and 17% dependent on grade.
Minimum AAT Level 4 or equivalent (such as CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting)
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Delivering at Pace
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
In-Year Financial Management 4.2, 4.4
Financial Governance 2.2
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Please see Benefits Leaflet attached for more information.
The post does not offer relocation expenses
External recruits who join the MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a six month probation period.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
About the Company
Company: UK Government – Ministry of Defence
Company Location: Corsham