Financial Associate Job at UK Government – Department for Education in Manchester
The post holders will partner and collaborate with a range of stakeholders, acting as the face of group accounting, helping to resolve accounting problems, to ensure the Department’s annual report and accounts are free from material errors, and laid pre recess.
The successful candidate will be expected to work towards completion of a minimal of level 4 Finance Professional Apprenticeship and all training is included as part of the job. The post holder will also be given the time to complete their apprenticeship learning. Candidates will have achieved a grade C/4 or above in at least 5 GCSEs including English and Mathematics.
The successful candidate(s) will be enrolled onto a Level 4 Accounting Technician apprenticeship. At the enrolment stage, the individual’s eligibility will be checked by the training provider. Candidates need to make sure they do not have pre-existing qualifications at the same or higher level in a similar subject as the apprenticeship.
If you’re unsure of your eligibility, please review the content of the apprenticeship standard on the IfATE website: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/professional-accounting-or-taxation-technician-v1- 1 and assess whether your previous learning has already covered much of this content. If it has, you’re unlikely to be eligible for the apprenticeship.
This qualification brings a strong balance of practical and theoretical learning which is aimed at producing well rounded financial professionals and provides an excellent base for career progression. Within the Department successful candidates have consistently secured permanent roles on the completion of their apprenticeship and have subsequently progressed to higher grades and full professional qualification.
If a graduate had a degree in a different subject but wanted to apply to this apprenticeship, they could do so and would not be excluded or ineligible.
Role and responsibilities
- Account Support for partner bodies – Aggregator, Student Loan Company (SLC), and Office for Students (OfS). All activities for mapping, uploading and reviewing financial data are completed to organisations monthly / year end timetables.
- Support the SEO and team leader in the monthly / year end preparation of the DfE Group Consolidated accounts. Tasks include collation, preparation and analysis of information to support the production and laying of the accounts.
- Support the SEO in managing timely responses to NAO, to ensure all audit queries are answered effectively and efficiently.
- Ensuring that all the technical aspects of the accounts production process are consistent with Treasury guidance and specifically the requirements of the Financial Reporting Manual (FReM).
- Support the preparation of the Whole of Government Accounts (WGA) for both DfE Group and the Academy Sector Annual Report and Accounts (SARA). Tasks to allocation of counterparty ID references to GL transactions and completion of Central Government (CG01) agreements, and populating information in HMT OSCAR Reporting portal
- Liaise with the SARA team to prepare the annual grant tracker return for Academy Trusts
Grade C/4 or above in at least 5 GCSEs including English and Mathematics.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Delivering at Pace
Changing and Improving
Making Effective Decisions
Applicants currently holding a permanent post in the Civil Service should note that, if successful, their salary on appointment would be determined by the Department’s transfer / promotion policies.
As a member of the DfE, you will be entitled to join the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme, which many experts agree is one of the most generous in the UK.
You will have 25 days leave, increasing by 1 day every year to a maximum of 30 days after five years’ service. In addition, all staff receive the Queen’s Birthday privilege holiday and 8 days’ bank and public holidays.
We offer flexible working arrangements, such as job sharing, term-time working, flexi-time and compressed hours.
As an organisation, which exists to support education and lifelong learning, we offer our staff excellent professional development opportunities.
About the Company
Company: UK Government – Department for Education
Company Location: Manchester