Retail Credit Risk Officer (Bilingualism required) Job at Alterna Savings – in Ottawa, ON
Scope of Position
The Retail Credit Risk Officer on behalf of both organizations, administers and monitors the renewal, conversion or cancellation of student lines of credit; conducts regular reviews of our existing regular and secured lines of credit to assess the ongoing credit worthiness for members and employees.
The Retail Credit Risk Officer provides guidance and acts as a resource person to credit representatives within our organization; acts as a backup for Sr. Retail Credit Risk Officer; performs post reviews on all impaired and written off retail credit facilities; recommends modifications to lending policies and procedures; assists in special projects in credit and assists through necessary activities required to maintain operational integrity. The Retail Credit Risk Officer also provides support and assistance to the Retail Credit Risk Manager for the day to day operations of the department.
The Retail Credit Risk Officer also mitigates potential credit losses by reviewing predetermination of LOC’s based on evidence of deterioration of credit worthiness
- Receives, considers and formulates decisions for regular, secured, student and employees lines of credit reviews and produces reporting on same which is included in the quarterly Retail Credit Risk Report to the Credit Risk Management Committee
- Receives, considers and formulates decisions for both impaired and written off credit facilities and provides reporting on same which is included in the Quarterly Retail Credit Risk Report to the Credit Risk Management Committee.
- Monitors cancelled lines of credit that require specific monthly payments. If no payments are received on a regular monthly basis, refer the file to the Credit Risk Manager for resolution
- Recommends modifications to lending policies and procedures in response to new or changing circumstances by keeping abreast of developments and activities in other credit unions or lending institutions
- Acts as a backup and assists the Sr. Retail Credit Risk Officer in performing Retail Credit Assessments on newly advanced credit.
- Provides guidance to credit representatives within the organization and performs other related duties by responding to questions from staff within the organization related to loan processes and procedures
- Cross-selling and up-selling all services of the Alterna Savings /Alterna Bank
- Participates in special projects as assigned
Expectations / Outcomes
- Ensuring credit risk assessments are done following existing policies and procedures
- Documentation and reporting is done in the most accurate manner with attention to detail to ensure reporting reflects the appropriate risk of our credit book
- Post-secondary education in a related field along with several years of related experience
- 3 years of credit granting/approving in a progressively senior role
- Thorough knowledge of Operational Credit Policy, knowledge of practices and techniques related to credit granting
- Awareness of trends and activities in other credit unions and lending institutions
- Commitment to continual learning
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Excel and Word
- Bilingualism in both official language of English and French is required
- Audit experience an asset
About Alterna Savings
Alterna Savings and Credit Union Limited (Alterna) has been the good in banking for 112 years! Alterna is made up of Alterna Savings and Credit Union Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Alterna Bank. Together, we have $9.6 billion in assets under management.
As the first full-service, member-owned co-operative financial institution outside Quebec, Alterna Savings shares its expertise with more than 183,000 members through a network of 36 branches across Ontario, that includes partner Peterborough Community Savings; as well as call centre and digital channels. Members and customers also benefit from industry-leading online brokerage, investment management services, and have access to the largest surcharge-free ATM network in Canada through THE EXCHANGE® Network, with over 3,700 ATMs to serve them.
Working at Alterna
Every day, over 600 people take pride in putting our members first. Our caring culture has been recognized by the prestigious employer awards National Capital Region’s Top Employers and Aon’s Best Employers (Platinum level).
- Although we appreciate all applicants, preference will be given to candidates who most closely meet the qualifications, key skills and competencies outlined above.
- Alterna is compliant with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you have a disability, please contact the recruiter to let us know how we can accommodate you.
Job Type: Full-time
About the Company
Company: Alterna Savings –
Company Location: Ottawa, ON