Risk Management Assistant Job at City of Lakeland, FL – in Lakeland, FL
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
This is responsible administrative work in processing risk management transactions, maintaining related files and records and performing various insurance, claims processing, safety and loss prevention functions. Work involves the responsibility for processing a variety of insurance related transactions; maintaining applicable files and records, reporting risk management related statistics, processing property and casualty claims. Work involves the primary responsibility for maintaining litigated files on a daily basis. Work also involves explaining the proper methods of submitting loss and investigative reports and involves some judgment based upon knowledge gained through experience. Considerable public contact may be involved requiring the exercise of patience, tact, and judgment. Work requires the exercise of initiative, independent judgment and discretion in handling delegated administrative details, and is reviewed through conferences, observation, and analysis of reports and results achieved.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS
- Assists the supervisor in the administration of all lines of property, casualty, auto, liability and workers’ compensation insurance claims in accordance with applicable Florida statutes, Florida Administrative Code, relevant case law and various collective bargaining agreements.
- Responsibilities include daily interaction with insurance carriers, health care providers, supervisors, employees, attorneys and citizens.
- Receives and processes insurance coverage and claim transactions; verifies forms for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established risk management procedures; obtains information to complete reports; instructs employees on the proper methods of submitting loss and investigative reports; answers questions on medical claims problems.
- Receives and processes vendor’s certificates of insurance.
- May be required to process Workers’ Compensation claims, maintain appropriate files and records of work related injuries or diseases.
- Complies and completes data for administrative and public reports, bulletins, questionnaires and other documents; prepares moderately complex work sheets and tables from standardized raw data; makes varied arithmetical computations on material assembled; establishes and maintains filing systems.
- Records new lawsuits; notifies employees of required court appearances, depositions and meetings.
- Exercises a great degree of tact, diplomacy, and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues involving adjusting and processing all claims, employee health conditions, medical care, HIPAA, and all claims litigation.
- Works with finance department and third-party vendors to reconcile problems with unpaid invoices.
- May be required to work overtime or alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Position is designated as Mission Critical.
- Performs related work as required.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Associate degree or sixty (60) college credit hours from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Risk Management, Insurance or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in processing insurance claims or similar office work in related field.
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
- Must possess and maintain a valid telephone number.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites and PeopleSoft.
- Skill in oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of record keeping requirements for the processing of insurance claims.
- Knowledge of the general provisions of City’s insurance policies and self-insurance plans.
- Knowledge of legal terminology and documents and basic insurance terminology.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other employees, and the general public.
- Ability to carry out assigned responsibilities and solve minor administrative problems.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines, manage projects, work under pressure and work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and perform duties in a professional manner.
- Must possess a strong customer service orientation, be an excellent problem solver, work effectively in cross functional teams and demonstrate a commitment to strategic objectives.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to ten (10) pounds of force on a recurring basis and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your email and telephone messages regularly, including “junk” folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Location: 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue,Lakeland,FL, Lakeland, FL 33801
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: Multiple Locations
About the Company
Company: City of Lakeland, FL –
Company Location: Lakeland, FL