Superintendent of Finance & Administration Job at DeKalb Park District in DeKalb, IL
DeKalb Park District Position Description
DEPARTMENT: Finance & Administration
TITLE: Superintendent of Finance and Administration
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for the financial and administrative functions of the DeKalb Park District, including accounts payable, cash receipts, general ledger, record keeping, budget development, external financial reporting, internal audit controls, and development of the annual audit. Supervises the Human Resource and payroll functions. Serves as a liaison to the Park District Risk Management Agency (PDRMA). Assists in coordination of the District’s Information Technology (IT) resources through internal oversight and partnerships with third party IT providers.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Executive Director
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Directly supervises the Human Resource and Payroll Manager, Accounting and Administrative Assistant, finance department and Hopkins office staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The duties and responsibilities listed below are illustrative only and are not meant to be a full and exhaustive listing of all the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Accounting & Financial Responsibilities:
1. Establishes and maintains District accounting and reporting systems pursuant to Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) rules and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) standards.
2. Supervises, plans, and coordinates fiscal and financial operations for the District.
3. Leads the department in conformance with all statutory laws and regulations, including the annual audit.
4. Prepares and evaluates financial reports, including monthly, annual, and other reports, and special project analysis for board and staff review.
5. Responsible for the administration and maintenance of financial records related to the operations of the District.
6. Administers banking functions including completion of bank reconciliations and oversee investment activities.
7. Directs the daily financial operations for the District including receipts, disbursements, deposits, account reconciliation, and internal and external financial controls.
8. Prepares and maintains financial reports including the annual tax levy ordinance, budget and appropriation ordinance and amendments, Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, treasurers report, and other governmental and legal reports.
9. Develops and implements short term and long-term financial plans to meet the goals and objectives of the agency, including the development of annual fund balance projections, department operating budgets, cash flow projections, and the planning for capital projects, equipment acquisition, and debt.
10. Coordinates the issuance of the annual general obligation debt as well as other special long-term debt, as necessary.
11. Coordinates the District’s operating and capital budget process, including developing budget schedule and budget documents for board review.
12. Serves as a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Officer and Open Meetings Act (OMA) Designee and ensuresrequired training is completed.
13. Manages purchasing functions at the District and reviews, monitors, and recommends changes to the District’s Purchasing Policy as needed.
14. Recommends changes to the District’s Administrative Policies and Procedures as needed.
15. Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates departmental staff.
16. Responsible for the administration and maintenance of financial records related to the operations of the District.
17. Oversees District’s document archive records management system and coordinates record disposal activities with the State of Illinois
18. Incorporates agency risk management practices in the implementation of the 3 finance and administration department. Completes reports, documentation, and District wide assessments.
Human Resource Responsibilities:
19. Supervises the Human Resource and Payroll Manager. Oversees the Human Resource functions of the District including payroll, recruitment and retention of staff, employee benefit plans, compensation programs, job descriptions, personnel policies and procedures, employee training programs, employee onboarding and orientation, FMLA, workers’ compensation, and employee safety programs.
20. Oversees reporting payroll taxes and ensures the District complies with State and Federal laws.
Information Technology Responsibilities:
21. Works with third-party IT providers to oversee and coordinate all IT and communication functions at the District.
22. Maintains, updates, and manages the District’s technology efforts to streamline business processes for employees and stakeholders.
23. Attends meetings of the DeKalb Park District Board and responds to Board inquiries regarding policies, personnel, operations, and other concerns of the Board.
24. Assists departments with researching alternate sources of funding, including, corporate sponsorships, donations, revenue sharing, grants, and foundation contributions.
25. Other duties as assigned.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES: * Serves as liaison to other governmental units, community groups, clubs, and organizations.
- Serves as a member of the District’s management team.
- Serves on internal agency committees or project teams with other park district employees for the benefit of the entire park district.
- Attends conferences, seminars and educational sessions and participate in professional associations as they pertain to area of responsibility.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Education and Experience:
- A. Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting or business administration is required and a CPA is desirable.
- B. Must have a minimum of five years of progressive experience in governmental accounting.
- C. Minimum of three years of supervisory experience preferred.
2. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A. Knowledge of and skill in government fund accounting, finance,budgeting, and internal controls
- B. Working knowledge of computerized financial systems and must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- C. Ability to prepare budgets, financial statement reports, presentations, ordinances, payroll, and payroll tax reports.
- D. Ability to handle cash in an accurate and safe manner.
- E. Excellent communication skills. Ability to provide clear and concise communications and reports (oral, written, and visual) to the staff and/or Board.
- F. Ability to project a professional image by demonstrating integrity, honesty, and accountability.
- G. Ability to be a team player and demonstrate, lead, support, and administer the District’s mission statement, vision, core values, and policies and procedures.
- H. Working knowledge of Information Technology systems.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: * Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
- Must have or obtain certification in CPR and AED within six months.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to work in an office and spend a considerable amount of time sitting at a computer. The employee is occasionally required to travel to and from park district facilities and other sites for meetings. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee works near computers and data processing equipment, fax machines, telephones, copiers, and other office machinery. The noise level in the work environment is usually conducive to office work.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference and /or background check; job-related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude the
About the Company
Company: DeKalb Park District
Company Location: DeKalb, IL