UK Strategic Command – B2 AH Financial Management Job at UK Government – Ministry of Defence – in Northwood
UK Strategic Command provides the foundation and supporting framework for successful operations by ensuring enabling capabilities, such as medical services, intelligence, information systems, defence education and cyber operations, are developed and fielded. UK Strategic Command We also provide the ‘command and control’ for the UK’s overseas operations.
UK Strategic Command manages an annual budget of over £5bn made up of three main elements:
- an operating cost budget of £2bn p.a.;
- an equipment budget of £2.3bn p.a., which delivers information, intelligence, communications, cyber, logistics and medical capabilities to the UK Armed Forces, as well as specialist equipment for the Special Forces; and
- an infrastructure budget of £1bn p.a., which manages and develops the UK Strategic Command estate across the UK and overseas.
About UK Strategic Command HQ and the HQ Finance Team
UK Strategic Command HQ, Northwood is a fast paced and exciting place to work, in which the successful applicant will play a key role, working with the Command’s subordinate organisations (referred to in Defence as High Level Budgets) including:
- Joint Force Development and the Defence Academy
- Chief of Staff
- Directorate of Special Forces
- Permanent Joint Headquarters
- Directorate of Overseas Bases
- Defence Medical Services Group and
- Defence Intelligence
- Defence Support
as well as the Ministry of Defence’s enabling organisations:
- Defence Equipment and Support
- Defence Digital, and
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation
UK Strategic Command’s HQ Finance Team (known in Defence as the TLB – Top Level Budget) plays a key role in ensuring the sound financial management of operating cost budgets and the Equipment and Infrastructure Programmes. You will be working with a wide range of stakeholders, including the Command’s equipment capability development specialists and infrastructure experts. These roles are critical to decision making and in the provision of quality financial information and advice to the Commander UK Strategic Command, the Director of Resources and the wider Command team.
Sitting alongside the other Front-Line Commands including Army, Navy and Air, UK Strategic Command’s HQ TLB Finance team work closely with
- the central Defence Resources team who allocate budgets, coordinate in year financial management and liaise with HM Treasury and
- the Director of Financial Strategy’s team who produce the Financial Accounts for Defence, liaise with the National Audit Office and leading finance professional development and change in Defence
The successful candidate will need to build working relationships and two-way dialogue with these and other central Defence functions.
Defence Finance is also undergoing fundamental change as part of the Civil Service wide Finance Functional Leadership initiative. This programme seeks to reshape the way the Defence Finance supports the Department by putting Finance “at the Heart of Decision Making, Driving the Agenda, not just keeping score”.
All posts require the posts holders to develop a deep understanding of UK Strategic Command’s business through dialogue and interaction with all areas of the Command.
The post holder will lead a team that delivers monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting. Key responsibilities of the post will include:
- Delivering credible monthly management information reports to both the Deputy Director of UK Strategic Command as well as for senior stakeholders like Executive Committee (ExCo)
- Contributing to development of automated reports to allow more robust and improved use of online financial outputs, providing value added analysis and challenge,
- Managing the financial position of the UK Strategic Command’s Equipment Programme in conjunction with the Heads of Capability and finance and project staff in Defence Equipment and Support and Defence Digital ;
- Managing the financial position of the UK Strategic Command’s operating cost budget in conjunction with budget holders and their finance staff;
- Managing the production of UK Strategic Command’s monthly return to central Defence Resources team, including the forecast of outturn, variance narratives and information about risk and realism
- Managing UK Strategic Command’s Supplementary and Main Estimate returns in line with HMT guidance; and
This post has line management responsibilities.
The role will directly report to the Assistant Director Resources, UK Strategic Command
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Changing and Improving
Communicating and Influencing
Delivering at Pace
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- Northwood Recruitment and Retention Allowance (£3,000 pa)
- Qualified Accountancy Allowance (if applicable) (£3,000 pa)
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Posts based in London will attract the relevant London weighting
Expenses incurred for travel to interviews will not be reimbursed.
Any move to MOD from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/.”
The post does not offer relocation expenses
External recruits who join the MOD who are new to the Civil Service will be subject to a six month probation period.
About the Company
Company: UK Government – Ministry of Defence –
Company Location: Northwood